Key Stage 4
Teacher Names: J. Doran and M. Todd
Name of Subject: GCSE (Short Course) Physical Education
- Edexcel half GCSE in Physical Education
- Physical Education practical
The qualification undertaken will depend on how long a student spends at Oswaldtwistle School. The GCSE course is made up of 5 main units of work (4 theory which equates to 60% of the final grade and a practical assessment which equates to 40%). Over the course of one year a student would expect to complete the following units:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Movement Analysis
- Use of data
- Health, Fitness and Well Being
- Practical skills regarding two chosen sports
Overview of course:
The course gives students the opportunity to achieve and gain experience in the field of sport and health. This can provide a platform for those students interested in a career in sports of any kind.
Short Stay Students
As the GCSE short course is an option group for students we have provided a mandatory PE lesson for all students also. During the course of the school year the students will take part a range of sport in order to develop their knowledge and skills. With this they will be graded to the standard criteria expected with all schools. Some of the sports on the curriculum are listed below:
Key Stage 3
Students will follow the National Curriculum in Physical education with a strong emphasis on skills required for each sport. Teaching will be through a series of focussed practical activities which will develop the following skills:
- The individual skills involved for each sport.
- The team aspect and working together.
- Developing knowledge and experience of the rules of the games.
- Developing knowledge with regard to health living and wellbeing.